KERALA AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY
AROMATIC AND MEDICINAL PLANTS RESEARCH STATION, ODAKKALI
LIST OF PROJECTS CONDUCTED AT AMPRS, ODAKKALI
Externally aided Projects
1. Station Projects
1) Crop improvement of Lemongrass by selection.
2) Evaluation of promising LG types.
3) Varietal collection of Cymbopogan sp.
4) Breeding of LG for improved strains
5) Floral studies
6) Yield trials of LG
7) Single Plant selection in LG
8) Technique of mass emasculation in LG
9) Induction of pollen sterility in LG
10) Irradiant trial in LG
11) Preliminary yield trails in LG
12) Comparative yield trails in LG
13) Induction of flowering in American Lemongrass
14) Study of dominance and recessive and mode of pollination in LG
15) Study of reproductive mechanism in LG
16) Trials on the effect of irradiation with gamma rays in LG
17) Performance studies of the selected M2 generations of the irradiated material of palmarosa.
18) Adaptability studies of North Indian vetiver hybrids.
19) Varietal trial on Palmarosa
20) District yield trial on Palmarosa
21) Effect of phosphorus and lime on leaf yield and quality of cinnamon –1987
22) Morphological classification of lemongrass types available in the germplasm-86
23) Weed management studies in Cymbopogon species-1987
24) Effect of pre emergent weedicides on direct sown crop of palmarosa.
25) Effect of pre emergent weedicides on transplanted crop of lemongrass
26) Effect of Post-emergent weedicides on Palmarosa
27) Standardisation of optimum planting methods in Cymbopogon sp. 1987
28) Standardisation of optimum planting methods in lemongrass
29) Standardisation of agrotechniques in vetiver-1987
30) Response of vetiver to sources and levels of nitrogen
31) Effect of lime and phosphorus on root yield and quality
32) Standardisation of agrotechniques in minor aromatic crops- 1987
33) Stage of harvest trial on clocimum
34) Stage of harvest trial on Tamrose
35) Effect of lime and phosphorus on leaf yield and quality of Cymbopogon species
36) Seasonal fluctuations affecting growth, yield and oil quality of Cymbopogon species 1987
37) Effect of N,P and K on yield and quality of oil
38) Manurial experiment on LG
39) Transplanting NS direct sowing in LG
40) Optimum spacing and number of seedlings in a hole
41) Stage of harvest trial in LG
42) Wilting trial on LG
43) Chopping trial on LG
44) Exploitation of closely related species of Cymbopogon
45) Other essential oil yielding crops
46) Identification of the breeding system in Lemongrass, Palmarosa and Java citronella by carrying out self and cross pollination studies.
47) Induced mutations on lemongrass variety OD-19.- Started in 1984
48) Hybridization in lemongrass-started-1984
49) Selection of promising types from the cultivated variety
50) Performance studies of the different strains of Cimbopogon species-1987
51) Comparative evaluation of promising lemongrass types-1987
52) Germplasm collection and evaluation of palmarosa – 1984
53) Mutation breeding on palmarosa var ODP-2-1984
54) Comparative yield trial of promising palmarosa selections- 1984
55) Comparative evaluation of three geraniol yielding Cymbopogon species-1987
56) Germplasm collection and evaluation of Java Citrovella-1984
57) Carrying out genetic upgrading using polycross and line X tester methods in Palmarosa.
58) Performance studies of the progeny raised from the polycross seeds
59) Effect of micronutrients on yield and quality of oil of Cybopogon martinii
60) Study of the effect of various nutrients on the quality and quantity of the oil of various Cymbopogon species experiments
61) Response of various Cymbopogon species to graded dozes of nitrogen.
62) Effect of different sources of nitrogen and liming on growth and yield of palmarosa var. ODP-2
63) Nitrogen response of lemongrass under open and shaded condition
64) Effect of split application of different dozes of phosphorus and potassium on growth and yield of palmarosa.
65) Germplasm studies on vetiver
66) Evaluation trial of vetiver types
67) Root development pattern in vetiver
68) NPK trial on Kacholam
69) Purification studies
70) Trial with Ca, Mg and silica
71) Trial on the effect of fertilizers and spacing
72) Trial on storage of oil
73) Trial on rectification of oil
74) Trial to find out optimum density of population
75) Micronutrient trial on LG
76) Fertilizer trial on motia
77) Spacing trial on motia
78) New fertilizer trial on LG
79) Adaptation studies of Eucalyptus citriodora C. Zylanicum Japanese Mint, North Indian LG Citronella and Sweet basil
80) Stage of harvest trial on cinnamon Eucalyptus and Palmarosa
81) Varietal cum manurial trial on LG
82) Study of uptake of nutrients by LG
83) Introduction of medicinal plants
84) Influence of applied nutrients and stage of harvest on the yield and physico-chemical properties of essential oil of palmarosa
85) Studies on medicinal plants
86) Crop wed competition in Palmarosa
87) Manurial trial on Palmarosa
88) Response of Kacholam to different spacing and levels of FYM
89) Weedicide trial on palmarosa
90) Distillation studies
91) Trial on storage of soil
92) Trial on rectification of oil
93) Trial to improve keeping quality of the oil by the use of antioxidants
94) Study on the distillation techniques and quality of various essential oils
95) Studies on the physical properties on LG oil
96) Studies on the changes taking place in the physical and chemical properties of LG oil during prolonged storage.
2. KAU (Plan) Project “Strengthening research on aromatic crops with special reference to post harvest technology”
3. KAU Plan Project “Establishment of pilot plant for fractional distillation of aromatic oils”.
4. ICAR Cess Fund Scheme “Standardisation of agrotechniques in lesser known aromatic and medicinal plants of Zingiberaceae family”
5. Central Sector Scheme For Development Of Agrotechniques And Cultivation Of Medicinal Plants Used In Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani And Homoeopathy
6. ICAR Cess Fund Scheme “Integrated management of the banana pseudo stem weevil Odoiporus longicollis Olive (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)”
7. National Water Development Project for Rainfed Areas
1) Evaluation of sub-surface dyke for ground water conservation
2) Performance trial of ginger and kacholam under organic farming situation in Kallada-
3) Poothappara watershed.
4) Performance trial of ginger and kacholam under organic farming situation in
5) Vadayampady and Kangarappady watersheds.
6) Evaluation of medicinal plants under farming situation in Kangarappady watershed.
7) Evaluation of medicinal plants under farming situation in Vadayampady watershed.
8) Evaluation of medicinal plants under farming situation in Kallada-Poothappara
10) Evaluation of medicinal plants under farming situation in Thazhuvankunnu watershed.
11) Evolving bio-technique for manipulation of natural enemy complex in rice eco-system in Vadayampady watershed.
12) Evolving bio-technique for manipulation of natural enemy complex in rice eco-system in Kallada- Poothappara watershed.
13) Participatory eco-friendly management of fruit flies in bitter gourd.
14) Trial on eco-friendly management of banana pseudo stem weevil.
15) Use of vermi-compost in vegetable in Vadayampady watershed.
16) Use of vermi-compost in vegetable in Pulikkamali watershed.
M&AP KAU Project list
On going projects
Project(01)Exploration, collection and evaluation of germplasm of medicinal and aromatic plants
1.Germplasm collection , maintenance, evaluation and multiplication of medicinal and aromatic plants
2. Morphological and chemical evaluation of types of long pepper( Piper nigrum)
3.Yield and chemical charecterisation of selected accessions of lemon grass germplasm of AMPRS , Odakkali
4.Collection, screening and charecterisation of Kacholam ( Kaempferia galanga)
5.Multilocational trial of Patchouli for oil yield and quality
6.Collection, description and performance evaluation of herbaceous medicinal leguminous plants of Kerala
7.Morphological and biochemical investigations of medicinal plants with rejuvenative / galactogogue properties
8.Reproductive biology of Ocimum Sps.
9.Germplasm collection, maintenance and evaluation of lemongrass and palmarosa
10.Collection and maintenance of germplasm of long pepper AICRP VKA
11.Collection and cataloguing of Kacholam germplasm AICRP VKA
Project (02) Improvement of medicinal plants
1.Improvement of oil content of lemongrass, AMP/02-00-05-93/ODL(9)KAU
2. Performance of vetiver germplasm , AMP/02-00-08-93/VKA(3)ICAR
3.Evaluation of Ocimum Sps for oil yield and quality of oil, AMP/02-00-10-95/ODL(9)KAU
4.Breeding lemongrass suitable for high altitude , AMP/02-00-11-95/ODL(9)KAU
5.Induction of mutations in long pepper AICRP VKA
6. Evaluation of seed propagated of long pepper AICRP VKA
7.Variability in morphological, physiological and biochemical characters in Kalmegh ( Andrographis paniculata Nees) Laju Paul.K. PG Botany VKA
8. Subha.K. PG Botany VKA .Evaluation of reproductive biology and morpho anatomical variations in Plumbago sps.
9.Rapid multiplication of rare and endangered medicinal plants
ICAR Ad-hoc( Dept. Pltn. Crops) 1995-99
10. Shirish Hari Karnarkar,PG Dept. Pltn crops VKA .Genetic transformation of hairy root induction in Ada kodien( Holostemma ada-kodien)
11. Morphological and biochemical variations in Adhatoda types( Adhatoda sps.) PG VKA ( Dept.Pltn. crops)
12. Kalimuthu,Dept. Pltn crops,VKA Exploitation of in vitro cultures of Tinospora cordifolia Miers. for berberine
13. Vineel Vasudev Bhurke, Dept.Pltn crops,VKA .In vitro pollination in kacholam ( Kaempferia galanga) for seed set
14.Reshmi,C.R.COA,Vellayani.Evaluation of selected sankupushpam (Clitoria ternatea) lines for yield , alkaloid content and nodulation.
15. Smitha,K.COA, Vellayani, In vitrosomatic embryogenesis in Bael ( Aegle marmelos) 16. Minimol.J.S. Dept. Botany VKA. Morphogenesis and reproductive biology of Sacred lotus ( Nelumbo nucifera)
Project (03) Standardisation of agrotechniques for selected medicinal and aromatic plants
1. Screening of medicinal plants for intercropping in coconut gardens
2.Nutrient requirement and productivity analysis of Kacholam ( Kaempferia galanga)
3. Optimum manurial requirement and stage of harvest of Ocimum sanctum
4. Increasing in water use efficiency in thippali ( Piper longum)
5.Quality attributes in Kaempferia galanga as influenced by stage of harvest
6.Evaluation and selection of medicinal plants suitable for a coconut based farming system
7 Agrotechniques for maximum yield in long pepper. AICRP VKA
8. Agrotechnological practices for quality, crude drug production in Curculigo orchioides Gaertn .
No. R6/65927/97 dt 10/9/97 of Dr. PhD VKA
9.Kavitha,G.V. PG ACV.Integated nutrient management in Desmanthus virgatus Willd under rainfed condition
Project(04) Management of diseases and pests of aromatic and medicinal plants
1.Biological studies on the insects infesting medicinal and aromatic plants and their management
2.Nisha,M.S. ACV PG, Ecofriendly management of root knot and burrowing nematodes associated with Kacholam( Kaempferia galanga)
Project(05) Utilisation and marketing of medicinal and aromatic plants
1.Standardisation of analytical methods for the evaluation of some lesser known medicinal plants
2.Evaluation of lemongrass germplasm for oil quantity and quality
3. Evaluation vetiver germplasm for oil quantity and quality
4. Increasing geraniol content in palmarosa oil by chemical methods
5. Synthesis of commercially important compounds from cinnamon leaf oils
6.Isolation and charecterisation of principal constituents of Piper longum, Alpinia Sps. and Coleus aromaticus
7. Jobi.M Joseph PG Ag.Economics VKA.Analysis of market economy of medicinal plants of Kerala
8. Deepakumar V.S.PG Ag.Economics VKA .Production and marketing systems of Vetiver- A microlevel analysis in Thrissure (Dt)
1.Meera.V.Menon,PhD.1996.Effect of different inputs on productivity and quality relations in Njavara.
2.Rejimol Thomas,Msc 1996. Effect of biofertiliser on N And P economy in Palmarosa.
3. Sheela.N.Msc 1996. Response of Piper longum in coconut gardens to differential spacing and manurial regimes.
4. K.C.Shina,Msc.1998. Agrotechniques in Indian Sarasaparilla
5. T.P.Ayisha,1997.Msc. Yield and quality of Piper longum under differential spacing and manurial regimes in coconut gardens.
1.Jayaprakash Naik,B.Msc.1983.Cytotoxic and clastogenic effects of some insecticides in Allium cepa
2.Jaya Manuel Msc .1994. Comparative evaluation of selected types of Piper longum (Linn) in coconut plantations.
3.Narayanan, A.K.Msc.1993.Collection and cataloguing and evaluation of Rauwolfia spp.
4.Mini,K.S. Msc.1989. Karyomorphology, pollen sterility and seed set in vetiver ( Vetiveria zizanoides Linn.
5.Radhakrishnan,G.R. Evaluation of selections and hybrids of Vetiver ( Vetiveria zizanoides Linn) Msc.1991.
6.Prakash. K.M. Biometric analysis of yield and other attributes in Coleus( Coleus parviflorus.)
7. Kanakamony,M.T. PhD.1997.Induction of genetic variability in Kacholam.
8.Ajithmohan, N.K. Msc.1996.Induction of polyploidy in Kacholam .
9.Rajeswari meenattoor,J. Msc.1983 Induction of autotetraploids in lemon grass
10. Fancy Parameswaran, Msc. 1997. Reproductive biology and enzyme studies in Ocimum Spp.
11. Lisymol.J.Vadukkoot.Msc.1996 Evaluation of morpho- anatomical variations in Ocimum Sps.
1.Chinnamma,N.P. Ph D.1985. Influence of applied nutrients and stage of harvest on the yield and physico-chemical properties of essential oil of Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii Var motia)
2.Mullakoya,C.P. Msc.1997. Increasing geraniol content of palmarosa oil by chemical methods
1.A.Sukumara Varma ,PhD 1991.Fungal diseases of selected medicinal plants of Kerala. AMP-04-00-01-89-VKA.5.KAU.PG
1.Maya Devi,1996.Msc. Economics of production and marketing of selected medicinal plants in Thrissur Dt.concluded under PC group TOT
1.Msc.1991.Effect of graded doses of nitrogen and potash on growth ,root yield and alkaloid content of Perivinkle. (Catharanthus roseus)
2.Meera.N.Msc 1994. Standardisation of propagation and stage of harvest in Adakodien (Holostemma annulare K. Shum)
3.Manju.S.Msc.1997. Reproductive behaviour of Adapathian
4. Jalaja .S .Menon ,Msc. 1994. Influence of methods of planting and shade on growth ,yield and plumbajin content of chethikoduveli (Plumbago rosea Lin)
5. Sindhu.M. Msc 1999.Invitro callus induction and its exploitation in Coscinium fenestratum.
6. Joseph.E.J. Msc. 1983. Effect of spacing ,rhizome weight and time of harvest on the yield and quality constituents in Costus speciosus
7.Satheesan,K.N. Msc.1984. Effect of growth substances on the growth ,rhizome yield and diosgenin content in Costus speciosus
8. Sudhadevi, P.K. Msc 1981. Yield and quality constituents in Costus speciosus under varying levels of N,P,K.
9.Anu ,K.I. Msc 1993. Stanardisation of In Vitro propagation techniques in Gymnema sylvestris.
10. Rajesh.D. Msc.1998.Standardisation of In vitro techniques of rapid multiplication of Holostemma annulare
11.Sophia A John Msc. 1996. Standardisation of In Vitro techniques of rapid multiplication of Holostemma annulare
12.Mini Joseph, Msc.1997. Indirect organogenesis and embryogenesis in Kaempferia galanga
13. Rajagopalan, A, Msc. 1983. Stanardisation of propagation methods ,time of planting, time of harvest and phytochemical analysis of kaempferia galanga
14. Jalaja .S.Menon. PhD .1999. Analysis of growth ,flowering and quality in Koduveli-(Plumbago sps.)
15. Mini Raj.N. PhD 1997.Habit and habitat analysis of selected medicinal pants in native and domestic environments
16.Maya.S.Nair,Msc.1998 .Evaluation of Ocimum lines for herbage yield , oil content and Eugenol,
17.Effect of spacing and planting material on the growth and yield and active principle in Plumbago rosea L.
18. PhD.1998.In Vitro –in vivo screening of Sida sps. for ephedrine content.
19.B.J.Seema,Msc.1997.Standardisation of In Vitro techniques for rapid multiplication of Trichopus zeylanicus.
Projects concluded other than student programmes
1.Weed control in Curcuma aromatica, AMP/03-00-15-94/VKA (16) ICAR
2.Weed control in Kaempferia galanga, AMP/03-00-16-94/VKA(16)ICAR
3.Fertiliser trial in Kacholam. AMP/03-00-19-94/VKA(16)ICAR
4.Vetiver performance under biofertiliser system
5.Palmarosa performance under biofertiliser system
6.Spacing cum varietal trial in Kacholam.
7.Standardisaton of seed treatment and seed size in Kacholam, AMP/03-00-20-95/ODL(1) KAU
8.Optimum stage of harvest in Chittaratha (Alpinia galanga), AMP/03-00-21-95/ODL(16)KAU
9.Collection, maintenance and evaluation of germplasm of Garcinia cambogia Desrous, SPC-12-00-08-90-KUM-NARP
10. Standardisation of agrotechniques in lesser known aromatic and medicinal plants of zingiberaceae ICAR
11. NWDPRA scheme
Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments about
this web site.